The Aftermath Of An Accident
If you are like most car accident victims, this is the first time you have ever been in this situation. Insurance companies use this to their advantage, and many people receive settlements that are lower than they should be.
At Sparr, Belville & Brown, LLC, in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, we help victims of all types of motor vehicle accidents seek the full compensation they deserve. To give yourself the best possible chance of recovering maximum damages in your personal injury case, we recommend taking the following steps after a car accident:
- Call the police: It is important to have an official police report of the accident.
- Exchange information with the other driver(s): Get the other driver’s insurance information, name and phone number.
- Watch what you say: Keep the conversation with the other driver brief; do not admit fault or say that you are not hurt. Fault is difficult to determine, and many injuries do not show up immediately after an accident, but what you say to the other driver can undermine a valid claim.
- Take photos and collect evidence: The police report is important, but you should also collect your own evidence. Use your cellphone to take photos of the scene, including all damage to vehicles and any visible signs of injury. If there are witnesses, try to get their contact information. Write down your memories of the incident before you forget any details.
- Seek medical attention: Even if you are not sure you are seriously hurt, you should see a doctor. You may not immediately feel the full extent of your injury, and a medical evaluation will be essential to your case. Be sure to explain to your doctor exactly how your injury occurred.
- Talk to a lawyer before discussing a settlement with an insurance company: Remember, insurance companies will typically try to get you to accept a lowball settlement. An attorney can not only help negotiate a higher settlement, but also advise you on what you should and should not say to insurance companies.
Not Sure What To Do Next? Give Us A Call.
Don’t hesitate to contact us after a car crash for guidance. We offer free initial consultations over the phone. Call us at 920-335-1413. You may also reach us by email.