Wisconsin Family Lawyers Guide You Through Complex Family Situations
The rise of any mode of litigation can be stressful for all parties involved. It should go without saying though, that matters relating to family and children are often the most sensitive. Because of the close and intimate relationships of households, these cases can get emotional, understandably so. When your relationship with your children is at stake, it can be impossible to set aside your emotions.
Know that those feelings are valid. However, in order to move forward effectively, it is important to have the right support through what can be a grueling and unforgiving process. In divorce, custody issues, discussions of spousal support, division of marital assets or any legal battle of the wills, it is important to have a strong advocate on your side. At the law firm of Sparr, Belville & Brown, LLC in Oshkosh, we help clients through many types of legal issues and family law challenges:
- All aspects of the divorce process, including property division, spousal support (alimony) and child custody
- Child support and/or any potential modifications to existing orders on file
- Paternity determinations and challenges withstanding
- Orders of protection (also known as restraining orders)
What are the different types of family law cases?
Family law cases can be broadly divided into two categories: divorce and child custody. Divorce cases involve the dissolution of a marriage and the division of marital property, debts, and custody of minor children. Child custody cases involve the legal and physical placement of minor children.
Other types of family law cases include:
- Child support
- Spousal support (alimony)
- Grandparent visitation
- Domestic violence
What should I look for in a family lawyer?
When choosing a family lawyer, it is important to consider the following factors:
- Experience: Choose a lawyer who has experience handling cases like yours.
- Reputation: Ask for recommendations from friends, family, or other lawyers.
- Communication style: Make sure you feel comfortable communicating with your lawyer and that you understand their advice.
- Fees: Discuss fees and billing arrangements upfront.
What happens in a consultation with a family lawyer?
During a consultation, your lawyer will ask you questions about your case and your goals. They will also explain the legal process and your options. You should come to your consultation prepared to discuss the following:
- The specific issues in your case
- Your desired outcome
- Any relevant financial information
- Any concerns you have
What are the different ways to resolve a family law dispute in Wisconsin?
There are a number of ways to resolve a family law dispute, including:
- Negotiation: You and your spouse or partner can try to negotiate a settlement agreement on your own.
- Mediation: A mediator can help you and your spouse or partner communicate and reach an agreement.
- Arbitration: An arbitrator is a neutral third party who makes a decision on your case.
- Litigation: If you and your spouse or partner cannot reach an agreement, you may need to go to court.
What are the most common mistakes people make in family law cases?
Some of the most common mistakes people make in family law cases include:
- Not hiring a lawyer: Family law cases can be complex and emotionally charged. It is important to have an experienced lawyer on your side to protect your rights.
- Not being honest with your lawyer: Your lawyer needs to know all of the facts of your case in order to give you the best advice.
- Not being prepared for your case: If you go to court, you will need to be prepared to present evidence and argue your case.
- Making emotional decisions: It is important to make decisions about your case based on the law and your best interests, not your emotions.
Our Experienced Oshkosh, WI Family Attorneys Fight For You
Navigating through cases as complex as those involving family law matters need to be handled with compassionate care. Whether you are planning for a divorce or seeking modification to a support agreement or parenting plan, we will work closely with you to determine the most effective strategy to achieve your goals and explore your legal options in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
We stand on the principle that knowledge is power. After years of experience as family law attorneys, we are proud to say that we feel confident in the capabilities and skills of our whole team. We want our clients to feel that same level of confidence. From the initial point of contact during a consultation, all the way through the litigation process, our expert team is available to clients in order to answer questions and provide legal advice.
Though no case is the same in each detail, we provide each client and their families with the same level of respect, as if we were dealing with our own loved ones. Outside of our family law practice, both attorneys Kristina Sanders-Brown and Amanda Belville each hold guardian ad litem contracts in Winnebago County. This gives them particularly nuanced insight into how Wisconsin courts determine the best interests of a child.
Working with a legal team that has specific experience related to cases like yours is critical to your case producing a favorable outcome. Our passion for this industry is evident, and every member of our team will do their due diligence to ensure that you feel valued and protected through our with on your case.
Our Wisconsin Family Lawyers Will Tell It To You Straight
You can rest assured that our family law attorneys will fight hard for you and your children, but we are not going to give you false hope when the deck is stacked against you. As a law firm, we stand on the notion that knowledge is power. With years of experience in the field, and a representation that proceeds us from a long list of clients receiving positive outcomes on their cases, we are proud to say that we are confident in the work that we do. That being said though, it is important that each client that we work with feels that same level of confidence during their working relationship with us.
From the initial point of consultation, we maintain a professional level of honesty to each and every one of our potential clients. Each client and case are unique in their details and facts. With that being said though, we do our due diligence as a firm to ensure that every client that we work with receives the same level of exceptional service from our experienced legal team.
During the conversations that we have with clients about their impending cases, we will aim to set reasonable expectations for the process ahead and provide you with honest advice so that you can properly prepare yourself for what is to come. Family law cases can be long and grueling. What may be an intense process, often becomes draining for clients and families involved. Know that those feelings are valid.
While it is important for clients to remain involved and engaged throughout the duration of their case, we as attorneys understand and have seen the burden that it can bear as the process endures. Partnering with an experienced legal team means having an additional means of support for yourself and your family through an unprecedented time. Let us bear some of the load throughout the case, and handle the technical aspects of the case so that you and your family can focus on healing, while we then advocate for the best possible outcome for you and your family.
Learn More About Working With Us
Family law matters are extremely personal, and it is essential to find a lawyer you feel comfortable with. Get to know us better with an initial consultation. To schedule a meeting, call our Oshkosh office at 920-335-1413 or contact us online.