Accidents happen, even to the best drivers. If you’re involved in a truck accident in Wisconsin, there are some critical steps you need to take to ensure your safety and protect your rights.
This guide will walk you through what to do immediately after a truck accident, including how to exchange information with the other driver, file a police report, and get medical attention. We’ll also discuss what to do if you’re dealing with insurance companies and how to get help from a truck accident lawyer.
Taking these steps after a truck accident can seem overwhelming, but it’s important to remember that you’re not alone. An experienced attorney can guide you through getting the compensation you deserve for your injuries and other accident-related damages.
Immediately After the Accident
If you are physically able to, it is best to take the following actions in the immediate aftermath of a crash:
- Pull over to the side of the road, if possible, and turn on your hazard lights.
- Call 911 and report the accident. Provide your location and any information about injuries or road blockages.
- If you can, take pictures of the accident scene with your cell phone. These can be helpful later on when filing a claim or speaking with an attorney.
- Exchange information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident, including names, insurance information, and contact info. DO NOT ADMIT FAULT OR GUILT at this time.
- Speak with eyewitnesses who may have seen the accident and get their names and contact information.
- Once the police arrive, give them a detailed account of what happened up to and during the accident. Again, DO NOT ADMIT FAULT OR GUILT at this time – let the police determine who was at fault for the accident.
Documenting Your Injuries and Property Damage
Take photos of any bruises, cuts, or scrapes. If you have any broken bones or other serious injuries, get a medical report from your doctor detailing the extent of your injuries.
To document property damage:
- Take photos of any damaged vehicles or property.
- Get an estimate of the repairs needed.
- List these items and their estimated value if you have lost any personal belongings in the accident.
Getting the Compensation You Deserve for Your Injuries
Being involved in a truck accident can be an incredibly traumatic experience. Following the steps outlined in this post will help you regain control of your situation. Reaching out to an experienced personal injury lawyer can help you ensure you are on a level playing field with the insurance companies as you pursue the compensation you need to get your life back in order after an accident.